GROUP ERIE CANAL SIGHTSEEING CRUISE
- Person Group discount only for 25 or more passengers!
CRUISE THE HISTORIC ERIE CANAL WITH YOUR GROUP
A group is considered, at minimum, 25 paid adult passengers for our daily cruises. One complimentary ticket will be given when the minimum is met. Group pricing is $23.00 per passenger.
- A NON-REFUNDABLE $250.00 deposit is required when booking a daily sight seeing cruise
- 15 calendar days before your event, an e-mail invoice will be sent stating the amount that is owed in 5 days. You will owe for whatever passenger count you have booked for.
- 10 calendar days before your event, full payment must be made. It is imperative that you call (315) 717-0077 to update any change in your headcount immediately, to guarantee availability on board.
If you would like to add more passengers to your reservation, please call immediately, (315) 941-7585 to update your passenger total, which is subject to availability.
If the number of passengers in your group goes below 25 for the daily cruise, you must call immediately, (315) 941-7585. The new price will be $25.00 per person and no complimentary ticket will be given. Full payment must be made at that time.
- 1.5 hours for our 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. cruises
- Cruising daily Mid May – Mid Oct.
TOUR DEPARTURE TIMES
Please see daily calendar for cruise times or call (315) 717-0077 for schedule information.
Cruises depart 7 days a week during our operating season
* 2021 operating season: May 22 – October 11
* Please arrive 30 minutes prior to departure at 800 Mohawk Street, Herkimer, NY 13350 – Gems Along the Mohawk. Our ticketing booth is inside the gift store.
- All group leaders must get boarding passes from our ticket booth prior to boarding the vessel.
Boarding: 15-30 minutes before departure at Gems Along the Mohawk.
We are located directly across the street from Exit 30 of the NYS Thruway – If using a GPS, do not turn right at the stoplight, but continue straight into the parking lot
GPS Address: 800 Mohawk St, Herkimer, NY 13350
- We cruise rain or shine in our weather-protected vessel.
What’s better than a trip through history on the calm waters of the Erie Canal while enjoying the spectacular scenery of New York’s beautiful Mohawk Valley? The answer is absolutely nothing. That is why you should join your United States Coast Guard licensed captain aboard Lil’ Diamond II and enjoy a few entertaining tales of the canal.
On this incredibly fun, narrated, 90-minute cruise:
- Listen to how the Erie Canal was constructed, how it opened our western lands and helped to create the America we know today.
- Learn why the Erie Canal was known as Clinton’s Ditch.
- Learn how and why it was expanded, and why it’s still important to upstate New York culture today.
WHAT WILL I SEE ON THE CRUISE?
- Massive guard gates
- The Historic Fort Herkimer Church, which is one of the oldest surviving churches in New York State
- You’ll also catch a glimpse of some local birds such as green and blue herons and the occasional bald eagle along the Plantation Island Wildlife Management Area.
- The vessel then enters Lock 18 at Jacksonburg, one of the last remaining locks operating with all of the original 100+-year-old equipment. The vessel is raised and then lowered in a “liquid elevator.”
As the vessel enters the lock, your captain will fully describe how the lock operates. Then you’ll watch as the gates close behind you and suddenly (but smoothly) the lock house seems to rise in the air as the lock walls creep up along the vessel while it’s being lowered twenty feet. It is certainly an experience not soon forgotten.
This cruise is 90 minutes of history, entertainment, education, humor, calm cruising, and pure enjoyment!
Our crew members are trained to help guests navigate our docks and vessel and are prepared to assist. Our vessel does have mobility limitations. We strongly recommend calling ahead to 315-717-0077 for specific concerns.
Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
Are food or drinks served during the cruises?
Outside food and/or drinks are not permitted on board!
We have snacks plus soda and water available to purchase – cash only.
If you are looking for a full menu, we have a great restaurant on location called the Waterfront Grille. Arrangements can be made DIRECTLY by calling 315-717-0700 and speaking with Rocky. He’s best reached weekdays, 2:30 -4:30pm.
Is it customary to tip the crew?
Yes, it is customary, but it’s completely at the guests’ discretion. They are greatly appreciated.
Is smoking allowed on board the boats?
Smoking is not permitted on the docks or aboard our vessels. We are a smoke free, tobacco free, vapor and e-cig free zone.
Is the cruise suitable for pregnant women?
Absolutely, our boat cruises in the calm, narrow waters of the Erie Canal and Mohawk River. The ride is smooth, stable, and gentle.
Will I get motion sickness?
Motion sickness is very rare on our cruises since we travel on the river and experience almost no rocking. Our vessel is very stable. Should you be particularly prone to motion sickness, feel free to take your own preventative measures beforehand.
Are restrooms available on board?
Yes, there is a restroom on board.
Can I bring my pet?
Unfortunately, all pets (other than registered service dogs) are not allowed on the cruise. If you need to bring a registered service dog, please let us know in a “Message to the Seller” box upon purchasing your tickets. You must also alert the Ticket Booth when picking up your boarding passes.
Are there life jackets on board?
Our vessel is U.S. Coast Guard certified and we have more than enough life jackets for all passengers.