Living History Cruise to the Historic Herkimer Home
$59 | 6 Hours
Welcome on board the Living History Cruise and tour of the Historic General Herkimer Home!
New and improved for 2019 – this specialty cruise departs from and returns to Gems Along the Mohawk. We will board a bus for a short ride to the Historic Home of Revolutionary War Hero General Nicholas Herkimer. There we are greeted by costumed re-enactors, and begin the tour of the Historic Georgian Mansion and grounds. We then enjoy a fabulous BBQ feast from Promiseland Farm & BBQ. We end our visit on a sweet note with an 18th century chocolate making demonstration with samples! We then board a Lil’ Diamond vessel for a cruise through 2 locks on the Erie Canal: Lock 17 and Lock 18. At over 40 feet, Lock 17 is the tallest lift on the Canal system and Lock 18 remains one of the most historically intact locks featuring 100+ year old equipment. We then arrive back at Gems Along the Mohawk for a unique specialty shopping experience featuring NY products!
Key points about this tour:
- 2019 Living History Cruise dates: Sunday June 16 (Father’s Day); Saturday June 29; Sunday July 14; Saturday July 27; Sunday August 11; Sunday August 25
- Historic, educational, and fun 6-hour event that includes a cruise through Lock 17 and Lock 18 on the Erie Canal and BBQ lunch, a tour and chocolate making at the Historic Herkimer Home
- Cruise ticket includes cruise, lunch, tour and chocolate making demonstration
- The Living History Cruise is not Handicap Accessible.
- 9:30am to 3:30pm
- See schedule for cruise dates or call 315-717-0350 for more information
Meeting Place and Check In Time
- Boarding Bus: 9:30am at Gems Along the Mohawk, Herkimer NY
- GPS Address: 800 Mohawk Street, Herkimer, NY 13350
- ***Erie Canal Cruises, Inc. reserves the right to cancel any cruise, change schedules or routes and substitute vessels at any time without prior notice. All lock cruises are subject to lock availability.***
- Tour begins at the Herkimer Home at 10:00am and returns to Gems Along the Mohawk at approximately 3:00pm
Your mouth-watering buffet style lunch from Promise Land BBQ generally includes:
- Promise Land’s famous Slow Smoked Pulled Pork
- Sausage w/ peppers & onions
- Slow smoked BBQ Chicken (legs & thighs)
- Hofmann Hot Dogs with sauerkraut
- Slow smoked BBQ beans
- Promised Land’s Summer Pasta Salad
- Salt Potatoes
- Desserts are the Chef’s choice which include;
- Watermelon (in season)
- This menu is served with bread or rolls from a local bakery named Heidelberg and Soda or Water
The Living History Cruise is not Handicap Accessible.
Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
Advance ticket purchase is required for the Living History Cruise. To be sure you are able to purchase tickets for the cruise date & time you prefer, we suggest you purchase tickets early.
Does the Lil’ Diamonds’ cruise in the rain?
Yes! The decision to go out is always at the discretion of your captain, but we cruise rain or shine in our weather-protected vessels. The tour at the Herkimer Home is partially outside, so you may want to bring a rain jacket or an umbrella if there is rain in the forecast.
Are your cruises good for children?
We welcome all ages aboard our boats!
Are food or drinks served during the cruises?
Outside food and/or drinks are not permitted on board!
On our larger vessel, Lil’ Diamond lll (LD3), we have a full liquor bar and snack bar that we accept cash and all credit cards for payment. The Snack Bar consists of hot dogs, nachos & chips and bagged snacks. On our smaller vessel, Lil’ Diamond ll (LD2), we have soda, water and bagged snacks available for cash purchase.
Is it customary to tip the crew?
Yes, it is customary, but it’s completely at the guests’ discretion. They are greatly appreciated.
Is smoking allowed on board the boats?
Smoking is not permitted on the docks or aboard our vessels. We are a Smoke Free, Tobacco Free, Vapor and E-Cig Free Zone! The grounds of the Herkimer Home are also Smoke Free, Tobacco Free, Vapor and E-Cig Free.
Is the cruise suitable for pregnant women?
Absolutely, our boats cruise in the smooth waters on the Erie Canal. The ride is smooth, stable, and gentle.
Will I get motion sickness?
Motion sickness is very rare on our cruises since we travel on the river and experience almost no rocking. Our vessels are very stable. Should you be particularly prone to motion sickness, feel free to take your own preventative measures beforehand.
Are restrooms available on board?
Yes, there are restrooms on board on both of our boats.
Is the boat handicapped accessible?
The Living History Cruise is not Handicap Accessible.
Can I bring my pet?
All pets, other than registered service dogs, are not allowed on any cruise. If you need to bring a registered service dog, please let us know in a “Message to the Seller” box upon purchasing your tickets.
Are there life jackets on board?
Our vessels are U.S. Coast Guard certified and we have more than enough life jackets for all passengers.
Do you offer anything for groups?
We sure do! Living History Cruise groups of 35 or more passengers qualify for discounted rates, based on availability. For more information, please contact Captain Jerry at 954-294-9592 or [email protected]
Do you offer private charters?
Of course we do! We can host your corporate, social, and wedding events. Nothing will make us happier than planning a private event for you and your loved ones. Contact us at 315-866-5989 or email [email protected] for more information.
800 Mohawk Street, Herkimer, NY 13350